100 Mile Wilderness Adventures and Outfitters, Monson, Maine, on the Historic Appalachian Trail (Mile 117.8)
This is life in the slow lane. Where the haunting call of the loons out on the lake and the howl of coyotes are frequent companions. This is the home of the pine marten, Canadian lynx, black bear, mink, porcupine and ruffed grouse. This is where moose and deer outnumber local inhabitants. Sit awhile and enjoy the star filled sky; the only sound you hear is the gentle breeze through the fragrant Balsam fir.
Far from the maddening crowds, my private and secluded grounds are a place for quiet contemplation. Perfect for pondering the beginning of an epic journey or reflecting upon a dream hike, soon to be fulfilled on Katahdin.
I am located on the doorstep to Maine’s 100 Mile Wilderness. I am here to help you achieve the possibilities that only a long distance hike can offer.
Phil Pepin, Registered Maine Guide
Phil Pepin is a three time Appalachian Trail thru-hiker, completing the entire Trail in 1977, 1982 and most recently, in 2010.
As a longtime Volunteer with the Maine Appalachian Trail Club, I have:
- helped maintain and build much of the Appalachian Trail in Maine
- helped build many of the new lean-to’s throughout the State.
- served on the MATC Executive Committee for over 30 years as a:
- long time corresponding secretary
I co-ordinated a successful Volunteer caretaker program on Bigelow Mountain for 18 years, and maintained 4-1/2 miles of the Appalachian Trail for 28 years.
As a Volunteer in Baxter State Park, I maintained both the Helon Taylor trail on Katahdin and the South Turner Mountain trail for 13 years and I:
- am still an active Volunteer within the Park.
- am a life member of the Appalachian Trail Conservancy
- received the Silver Service Award from the ATC and the National Park Service in 2003.
- was presented the Presidential Call to Service Award for my many years of Volunteer service to the Trail project, later that same year.
In 1998 the Maine Appalachian Trail Club awarded me Honorary Member status for my commitment and dedication to the Appalachian Trail in Maine.
I am licensed by the State of Maine as a Guide and can help you with your Appalachian Trail needs and information requests.